Tips for First-Time Homebuyers
- Be picky, but don't be unrealistic. There is no perfect home.
- Do your homework before you start looking. Decide specifically what features you want in a home and which are most important to you.
- Get your finances in order. Review your credit report and be sure you have enough money to cover your downpayment and your closing costs.
- Don't wait to get a loan. Talk to a lender and get prequalified for a mortgage before you start looking.
- Don't ask too many people for opinions. It will drive you crazy. Select one or two people to turn to if you feel you need a second opinion.
- Decide when you could move. When is your lease up? Are you allowed to sublet? How is the rental market in your area?
- Think long-term. Are you looking for a starter house with the idea of moving up in a few years or do you hope to stay in this home longer? This decision may dictate what type of home you'll buy as well as the type of mortgage terms that suit you best.
- Don't let yourself be "house poor". If you max yourself out to buy the biggest home you can afford, you'll have no money left for maintenance or decoration or to save money for other financial goals.
- Don't be native. Insist on a homeinspection and, if possible, get a warranty from the seller to cover defects within one year.
- Get help. Consider hiring a Realtor as a buyer's representative. Unlike a listing agent, whose first duty is to seller, a buyer's representative is working only for you. And most of the time, buyer's reps are paid out of the seller's commission payment.
Common First-Time Hombuyer Mistakes
- They don't ask enough questions of their lender and miss out on the best deal.
- They don't act quickly enough to make a decision and someone else buys the house.
- They don't find the right real estate professional who is willing to help you through the homebuying process.
- They don't do enough to make their offer look good to a seller.
- They don't think about resale before they buy. The average first-time buyer only stays in a home for four years.